Robert Gross has more than 25 years’ experience working for leading international law firms, the majority of that time as a partner. His clients include banks and multilateral lending institutions (IFIs), infrastructure investment funds, private equity fund managers and borrowers. He forges strong relationships with his clients, a number of whom have instructed him over periods of many years and, in some cases, decades.
He specialises in three areas:
- Finance and project finance – acting for lenders and borrowers on debt and equity transactions with a focus on cross-border and emerging markets work. He has recently represented lenders on a number of the largest debt restructurings in Europe.
- PPP – acting for governments, public sector authorities, senior and mezzanine lending syndicates and consortia on PFI and PPP transactions in multiple jurisdictions relating to transportation, healthcare and social infrastructure projects.
- Private equity – acting on multiple acquisitions and disposals of infrastructure assets in Central and Eastern Europe and further afield. He is recognised as a leading expert in this area with transactional experience across every country in the region.
Robert was editor of the Banking and Capital Markets Bulletin for the monthly journal PLC, contributing articles on a regular basis for a period of four years. He has also published articles dealing with the security aspects of banking transactions in the Journal of International Banking and Financial Law. He speaks regularly at conferences on topics related to infrastructure finance, PPP and private equity.
- office +44 (0)203 150 0448
- mobile +972 (0)54 924 8365
Examples of recent work
- Acted for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (“EBRD”) on the restructuring of debt finance to the Novus Group, one of the largest retailers in Ukraine.
- Acted for a syndicate of 13 financial institutions and investment funds on the structuring of multiple loan facilities to a micro-finance provider in Azerbaijan
- Acted for EBRD in connection with the financing of an international standard logistics centre in the vicinity of Kiev
- Acted for Nordic international financial institution in connection with loan facilities from another IFI to finance water, wastewater and energy efficiency projects in designated jurisdictions.
- Acted for Nordic Investment Bank in connection with a €1.755bn debt restructuring for Vestas Wind Systems, the world’s largest manufacturer, installer and servicer of wind turbines.
- Acted for Aviva Investments on senior debt financing in connection with a £2.4bn UK government-backed school development initiative – a landmark project awarded European Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year at the IJGlobal Awards 2015.
- Acted for the Finnish Transport Agency on the landmark E18 PPP Motorway Project which reached financial close in December 2011
- Acted for EBRD on multiple debt and equity financings in 23 countries of operation
- Acted for Globe Trade Centre on the financing of commercial and retail development projects in Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia and Ukraine.
- Acted for Mid Europa Partners on successive acquisitions of an aggregate 95% stake in Energy 21, the largest independent developer and operator of solar power (photovoltaic) plants in Central and Eastern Europe.
“A premier lawyer… There are not many lawyers like him – disciplined enough to turn over every stone and think outside the box at the same time.” – Chambers Europe
“Practical and Creative” – Legal 500
- European Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year at the IJGlobal Awards 2015 for the £2.4bn UK government-backed school development initiative where Robert led the team acting for Aviva Investments providing senior debt financing.
- Finance Monthly Deal Maker of the Year 2013 for his role on the €1.755bn debt restructuring of Vestas Wind Systems.
- Legal Business 2006 Project Finance Team of the Year acting for Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund on the project financing of the UK's largest portfolio of biomass energy plants.