Baruch is partner and joint Head of Dispute Resolution at Asserson. He is a solicitor advocate with extensive experience in England, Europe and the Middle East. Baruch is recognised by Legal 500 as a Leading Individual in international arbitration. He is also ranked by Chambers Global and Who’s Who Legal, where he is described as a “go-to name in Israel among large corporations and local law firms for international arbitration and cross-border disputes”.
Baruch has acted on several high profile and high value claims in the UK High Court, three of which were listed by the Lawyer among the top 20 UK cases for the year. Baruch has also acted for a number of household name brands in business defining arbitration cases and was credited, by the English Law Society, for having “opened up arbitration to Israeli business”. In 2014 Baruch was appointed as Israel’s only Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and in 2016 he was appointed by the LCIA as the court’s first representative for Israel. He sits as Israel’s delegate on the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR and is a member of the ICC Task Force Addressing Fraud and Corruption in Arbitration.
Baruch is qualified to act as an arbitrator and sits on the panel of a number of global arbitral institutions, including VIAC and SIAC. Baruch is regularly invited to lecture at conferences and other law firms on International Arbitration.
Baruch graduated with a double first from the University of Cambridge and won a scholarship to Harvard Law School where he received a Masters in Law.
Baruch enjoys spending time with his five children, as well as singing and cycling, occasionally simultaneously.
- office +44 (0)203 150 1300 ext.210
- mobile +972 (0)54 3301 847
Examples of recent work
- ICC arbitration worth $50m for a major Chinese construction company against an Israel based contractor
- LCIA arbitration worth in excess of $1 billion for a global mining group in relation to substantial mining rights in West Africa
- LCIA arbitration for a major hotel group against a European leisure company
- An LCIA arbitration for a global retail and real estate group against a Russian bank
- ICC arbitration for a high net worth investor in relation to a shareholders’ dispute relating to an Eastern European conglomerate of automation companies
- ICC arbitration for a pharmaceutical company against a financial institution
- ICC arbitration for a global real estate company against a major Austrian bank
- Ad hoc arbitration worth in excess of $100m for an Israeli investor in relation to a shareholder dispute and gold mining rights in West Africa
- Acting for the principal defendant in a High Court litigation regarding the sale of mining licences in West Africa, valued at $1.5 billion.
- Acting for Defendants in a High Court litigation against the trustee in bankruptcy for Eliezer Fishman, arising out of Israel’s largest recorded bankruptcy matter.
- Acting for and successfully defending the primary defendants in the UK Madoff litigation in a claim worth in excess of $90 million
- Acting for a group of solar energy companies in on-going proceedings against the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change in respect of a compensation claims worth in excess of £200 million under the Human Rights act
- Acting for and successfully defending defendants in a major civil recovery claim brought by the UK Government under the Proceeds of Crime Act with value at stake worth in excess of £100m
- Acting for claimants in a professional negligence claim against a major UK law firm, valued in excess of £65 million.
Ranked by Legal 500 as one of five “Leading Individuals” for international arbitration. Legal 500 say that Baruch:
“is consistently rated by his peers and has been rated by clients for his intellect, technical skill, and legal acumen”
“impresses with his intellectual ability and hard work”
“has the ability to get to the core of a problem and nail it.”
Chambers Global say that Baruch is “well regarded in the market for his arbitration work” and that sources praise him for being “really helpful and knowledgeable” and for having “considerable experience advising Israeli law firms and corporations on UK matters.”
Who’s Who Legal 2021 rank Baruch as a Future Leader, citing sources who say that he is “a formidable opponent” and “a well-rounded operator”.
Highly commended in the Modern Law Awards as Rising Star of the Year, 2015
Highly commended in the category of Junior Lawyer of the Year in the prestigious English Law Society Awards for Excellence, 2013 and commended by the Law Society for having “opened up English arbitration to Israeli business.”
Recognised by the Law Society Gazette as a “star in the making” praised for “his excellent legal analytical and problem solving skills as well as the level of professional maturity he demonstrated far beyond his years…”
“The Emergency Arbitrator Procedure under the 2012 ICC Rules: A Juridical Analysis”, 31 Journal of International Arbitration (2014), Issue 1, pp. 1–18
“Back to Basics: Drafting an International Arbitration Clause”, June 2011, the Israel Bar Association Website
“Defining Israel’s Capital”, August 2012, the Jerusalem Post
“Israel’s Supreme Court rebukes England’s High Court”, September 2016, Globes