Baruch is Head of International Arbitration at Asserson. He is a solicitor advocate with extensive experience in England, Europe and the Middle East. He is regularly consulted by major corporations and Israeli law firms on international arbitration matters. Baruch has also acted on several high profile and high value claims in the UK High Court.
In 2014 Baruch was appointed as Israel’s only Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and in 2016 he was appointed by the LCIA as the court’s first representative for Israel. He sits as Israel’s delegate on the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR and is the English law advisor to the Jerusalem Arbitration Centre.
Baruch is qualified to act as an arbitrator and is a member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the President of the UK Law Society, as well as arbitral institutions in Vienna (VIAC) and Singapore (SIAC). Baruch is regularly invited to lecture at conferences and other law firms on International Arbitration.
Baruch graduated with a double first from the University of Cambridge and won a scholarship to Harvard Law School where he received a Masters in Law.
Baruch enjoys spending time with his four children, as well as singing and cycling, occasionally simultaneously.
- office +44 (0)203 150 1300 ext.210
- mobile +972 (0)54 3301 847
Examples of recent work
- LCIA arbitration worth in excess of $1 billion for a global mining group in relation to substantial mining rights in West Africa
- LCIA arbitration for a major hotel group against a European leisure company
- An LCIA arbitration for a global retail and real estate group against a Russian bank
- ICC arbitration for a high net worth investor in relation to a shareholders’ dispute relating to an Eastern European conglomerate of automation companies
- ICC arbitration for a pharmaceutical company against a financial institution
- ICC arbitration for a global real estate company against a major Austrian bank
- Ad hoc arbitration worth in excess of $100m for an Israeli investor in relation to a shareholder dispute and gold mining rights in West Africa
- Acting for and successfully defending the primary defendants in the UK Madoff litigation in a claim worth in excess of $90 million
- Acting for a group of solar energy companies in on-going proceedings against the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change in respect of a compensation claims worth in excess of £200 million under the Human Rights act
- Acting for and successfully defending defendants in a major civil recovery claim brought by the UK Government under the Proceeds of Crime Act with value at stake worth in excess of £100m
- Acting for claimants in a professional negligence claim against a major UK law firm, valued in excess of £65 million.
Recognised by Legal 500, 2017 as the only identified “Next Generation Lawyer” in the region who “impresses with his intellectual ability and hard work.”
Highly commended in the Modern Law Awards as Rising Star of the Year, 2015
Highly commended in the category of Junior Lawyer of the Year in the prestigious English Law Society Awards for Excellence, 2013 and commended by the Law Society for having “opened up English arbitration to Israeli business.”
Recognised by the Law Society Gazette as a “star in the making” praised for “his excellent legal analytical and problem solving skills as well as the level of professional maturity he demonstrated far beyond his years…”
“The Emergency Arbitrator Procedure under the 2012 ICC Rules: A Juridical Analysis”, 31 Journal of International Arbitration (2014), Issue 1, pp. 1–18
“Back to Basics: Drafting an International Arbitration Clause”, June 2011, the Israel Bar Association Website
“Defining Israel’s Capital”, August 2012, the Jerusalem Post
“Israel’s Supreme Court rebukes England’s High Court”, September 2016, Globes