Daniel has been one of the UK’s leading planning lawyers for almost two decades. He has been consistently involved in some of the most innovative and high profile building projects across the country. Key achievements include the first successful application and appeal in England for removal of an affordable housing requirement for a private residential scheme, and facilitating one of the fastest approvals for office to residential conversion for a major application.
Daniel is an acknowledged expert in legal planning strategy. His clients include a broad mix of private sector property development companies and their JV partners, both domestic and international, public sector bodies and Housing Associations. He has particular specialisms in mixed use regeneration schemes and tall buildings. Daniel also routinely works on a number of charity and pro-bono projects each year.
Prior to setting up Asserson’s Planning practice, Daniel was head of the market-leading London Planning team at Pinsent Masons. With more than 25 years of experience, he has been consistently recognized for his outstanding legal skills and dedication to client service by both Chambers and Legal 500.
- office +44 203 691 4799
- mobile +44 7976 700 640
Examples of recent work
- Project managing a full professional team to advise on the emerging policy framework of the new Old Oak and Park Royal Mayoral Development Corporation, and on two detailed application for landmark buildings on Scrubs Lane, including a 22-storey tower adjacent to St Mary’s Cemetery. The schemes are residential led, mixed-use and are the first major application in this part of the OPDC area. Both schemes received resolutions to grant permission in spring 2017.
- Project managing a further detailed planning application for a group of buildings on Scrubs Lane, for a residential led, mixed-use scheme. The application was submitted in March 2017 and received a resolution to grant in July 2017.
- Project managing applications on two Council-owned linked sites in Warwickshire for a mix of uses including new Council offices
- Advising the London Borough of Haringey on a Compulsory Purchase Order to facilitate the regeneration of North Tottenham which will involve the construction of a new football stadium for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and much-needed housing
- Advising on a scheme for the redevelopment of an entertainment facility within Basildon’s green belt, for residential use with a similar building volume. The application was submitted in early 2017.
- Project managing an application for the redevelopment of the built areas of a prestigious South-East golf club, to provide approximately 40 residential units. In addition to green belt, the application raises complex land use and social amenity issues.
- Project managing an application for around 150 new student units for Somerville College, Oxford
- Advising on a major school project on green belt land
“Very easy to get on with, he gives clear, concise advice and he’s extremely proactive…exceptional in terms of his understanding of the planning legislation.” – Chambers and Partners
In February 2016 the Estates Gazette published an article Daniel wrote which examined the Government’s Red Tape Review and the proposals for cutting unnecessary regulatory barriers to housing delivery.