Jonathan has been a construction dispute resolution lawyer for over 35 years, during which time he has acted for some of the largest UK domestic developers, as well as developing a significant practice internationally, mainly for contractors, often in the oil and gas sector.
Jonathan trained at Simmons & Simmons, and then joined Nabarro Nathanson, now CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang, in 1981. He became a partner in 1984 and Joint Head of Construction shortly after. In 2000, Jonathan joined Speechly Bircham, now Charles Russell Speechly Bircham, as a partner, retiring in October 2013.
He is a committee member of the International Committee of the Forum of Construction Law of the American Bar Association
Carmel College, Wallingford
Jonathan studied law at Hertford College, Oxford, and completed the Solicitor’s Part II Examinations 1974 with 2nd class Honours.
- Mobile +44 7768 961387
Examples of recent work
• Acting for an installer of turbine engines in a claim relating to the overhaul to two engines for installation into a power plant in South America
• Acting on behalf of the employer in a true value adjudication to recover payments made in a ‘smash and grab’ adjudication brought by the contractor
• Acting for a developer in a dispute relating to cladding, post-Grenfell
• Successfully represented the contractor in a landmark decision in the Court of Appeal relating to the proper interpretation of the valuation provisions of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996
• Acting for the contractor in a major dispute relating to defective cladding on Phase 2 of a prestigious development in London comprising nearly 2,000 new homes (alongside shops, cafes, restaurants and a 100-bed hotel)
• Acting for a Kuwaiti construction company on a dispute relating to the design and engineering of an oil and gas processing facility
• Advising a UK construction company on a final account dispute and handling the adjudication
“honest, hardworking and entrepreneurial”
“an astute operator and someone you want on your side”
“Very proactive in looking for a resolution to a dispute and will look outside the box to find answers.”
“very astute and a very safe pair of hands”
1. International Construction Law
2. Discovery Desk book for Construction Disputes
Both published by the American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law