Shimon specialises in dispute resolution work. He advises clients on commercial litigation and arbitration, public law claims (including judicial review and Human Rights Act claims), legal costs disputes, and solicitor-client disputes. He has particular expertise in public law litigation in the energy and renewables sector, and it was as a result of his work that the firm was shortlisted for “Law Firm of the Year” at the BusinessGreen Leaders Awards 2015. More recently Shimon has been shortlisted as Junior Lawyer of the Year 2018 in the Law Society’s Excellence Awards, and has been named Rising Star of the Year for The Modern Law Awards 2019.
Shimon has developed a deep knowledge of the law of legal costs and has advised in case against corporations, law firms, UK Government and others in relation to recovery of legal costs.
Shimon trained at Asserson, qualifying as a solicitor in 2013, and also holds Higher Rights of Audience.
Shimon lives in Beit Shemesh, Israel with his family.
- office +44 (0)203 150 1308
Examples of recent work
- Acted for a group of 14 claimants in the solar power industry seeking damages under the Human Rights Act against the UK Government winning in ground-breaking High Court and Court of Appeal decisions. The case was recognised as one of the top cases to shape the legal landscape in 2018 and settled successfully for £60 million in damages and costs just before trial. This is believed to be the largest Human Rights Act damages payment ever achieved from the UK Government.
- Acting in a professional negligence claim against one of the world’s largest law firms, CMS, seeking hundreds of millions of pounds in damages in compensation relating to the collapse of four French and Turkish pharmaceutical companies.
- Acted for an Israeli listed company and its UK subsidiary in a claim against the UK company’s former directors for breaches of directors’ duties and fraudulent misrepresentation – successfully opposed two separately heard applications for summary judgment.
- Acted successfully for Israel’s largest bank, Bank Hapoalim, in opposed enforcement proceedings in England, including obtaining a freezing order to secure the Bank’s position.
- Acted for an Egyptian businessman in a derivative claim against the director of an English metal trading company.
- Led a number of specialist actions in relation to enforcement of legal costs:
- Assessment proceedings seeking c. £7.5m in indemnity legal costs against UK Government arising out of c £500m dispute;
- Acting for a group of claimants alleging gross overcharging by solicitors, successfully reducing c £1.8m invoice by over 50%.
- Acting in disputed indemnity costs claim arising out of the Madoff litigation.
- Acted for representatives of the Jewish and Muslim communities in a successful judicial review action against the Senior Coroner for Inner North London.
“UK developers launch legal challenge over grandfathering removal”, Solar Power Portal