Shimon specialises in dispute resolution work. He advises clients on commercial litigation and arbitration, public law claims (including judicial review and Human Rights Act claims), legal costs disputes, and solicitor-client disputes. He has particular expertise in public law litigation in the energy and renewables sector, and it was as a result of his work that the firm was shortlisted for “Law Firm of the Year” at the BusinessGreen Leaders Awards 2015.
Shimon has developed a deep knowledge of the law of legal costs and has advised in case against corporations, law firms, UK Government and others in relation to recovery of legal costs.
Shimon studied law at University College London. He trained at Asserson, qualifying as a solicitor in 2013, and also holds Higher Rights of Audience.
Shimon lives in Beit Shemesh, Israel with his family.
- office +44 (0)203 150 1308
- mobile +972 (0)54 813 7997
Examples of recent work
- Acted for a group of 14 claimants in the solar power industry seeking c. £200m in damages under the Human Rights Act against the UK Government winning in the High Court and Court of Appeal. The case was recognised as one of the top cases to shape the legal landscape in 2018.
- Acted for an Israeli listed company and its UK subsidiary in a claim against the UK company’s former directors for breaches of directors’ duties and fraudulent misrepresentation – successfully opposed two separately heard applications for summary judgment.
- Acted successfully for Israel’s largest bank, Bank Hapoalim Ltd, in opposed enforcement proceedings in England, including obtaining a freezing order to secure the Bank’s position.
- Acted for an Egyptian businessman in a derivative claim against the director of an English metal trading company
- Led a number of specialist actions in relation to enforcement of legal costs:
- Assessment proceedings seeking c. £7.5m in indemnity legal costs against UK Government arising out of c £500m dispute
- Acting for a group of claimants alleging gross overcharging by solicitors, seeking to reduce c £1.8m invoice by over 50%.
- Acting in disputed indemnity costs claim arising out of Madoff litigation
- Acted for representatives of the Jewish and Muslim communities in a successful judicial review action against the Senior Coroner for Inner North London
“UK developers launch legal challenge over grandfathering removal”, Solar Power Portal